Search This Blog

Thursday, December 31, 2009

Final Accounting

In the post below you will find the final accounting of this project. Please keep in mind that his is the cost to build my boat, with all three (3) rigs, A, B & C, back up servos, a sailbox and some other bits and peices that may be considered luxuries by others.

I will modify the list somewhat to show what can omitted, if you just want to get an idea on the bare minimum to take a hull and deck and build it with the A rig.

New Receiver & Radio

My DX6i radio came in yesterday together with the new Marine MR3000 receiver. I went to the boat yard and we programmed the radio and linked the receiver. This new receiver has 2 antennae and one is about 8 inches long and the other 13 inches. After putting the Rx in the pot, I pushed the long antenna out the whole where the servo wires are fed and we ran it forward up to the servo mount. The other antenna we ran out a small whole in the back of the pot and let it hang in the stern of the boat. We dipped the exposed ends of the antennae with silicon to protect them from water and subsequent possible corrosion.

We also installed the the plastic clips that hold the rigs securely in place and installed some tie downs to better secure the rigs in the boat box. I sanded on the outside of the box and dusted it off. I will put on a second coat of the polyurethane this afternoon. Then i have to install a carrying handle, or 2. As noted we put in slots to hold the rudder and the keel and the box will have a different balance point if the box is loaded with the keel and rudder than if it doesn't.

We are also looking for a source for a good hasp/latch to hold the box together when it is closed.

I will get some pictures today of the items noted above and will post them.

Hope to get the hull cover and keel cover soon that I ordered from Windward Sailing. When these come in I will certainly post some pictures.

Wednesday, December 30, 2009

Adrian's Sail Box

Here are some photos of Adrian's sail box that he sent to me to give some ideas for handling the interior of my sail box.

Saturday, December 26, 2009


Well, did an inventory of what still need to be completed with this boat and it seems I am almost done with this boat and project.

1 - I need to order some blocks to better engineer the bungee that holds the tension on the sheeting system.
2 - Check final weight of keel and hull to ensure all is in order, I may have to add weights to the B and C rigs to make the whole boat, rig come to minimum weight if it comes in less.
3 - Complete sail box. I ordered some clips from West Marine that will hold the rigs in place, and then need to figure out a way to secure rigs on place using rubber bands, bungee cord, hooks and eyes etc.
4 - Get the rigs measured in and the hull.
5 - I did order a hull cover and a keel cover from Chuck LeMahieu of Richardson, TX (his website is listed as a link on this blog)
6 - I also ordered a new DX6i radio with the new marine receiver MR3000

This was a great project, although it took much longer than I expected, but at the end of the day, I built this boat with my own two hands! I do not know if the boat will be competitive or not, but I feel it is the sailor who is good, not necessarily the boat.

Sail Box

SAIL BOX with slots fitted to hold Keel and rudder

Worked on the sail box some more on Wednesday together with Al and Collin. We looked at some photos of Adrian's sail box and decided to put in a slot to hold the keel and rudder securely. I still need to find some clasps to hold the box closed securely and a carry handle.

Sail box view of the inside before 3rd panel installed

Panel for 'C' rig and the 'B' rig on the back panel. Also slots for keel and rudder

Here you can see the 'A' rig on the inside of the front panel and the 'C' rig located on the inside panel and the 'B' rig on the back panel as well as the keel and rudder.

Below - you can see this with the inside panel closed and only the 'A' rig accessible.

Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sail Box and other Items

Last night I had a few hours to myself so I went to the boat loft and put a coat of sealant on the inside of the sail box. I am not sure when I will have the time to work on the box again as extremely busy with work.

I also bought some permatex silicon and used it to attach the bow bumper to the stem. I will see how this stuff holds up, this is the stuff that the guys in Vancouver use.

It was also discovered that the bungee I was using to keep tension on the sheeting system broke and figured this was due to how it was run, too much friction in one location. I will have to figure out a way to rig this bungee.

I also got some wire so I can hard wire the on/off switch and the new batteries arrived.

Monday, December 7, 2009

Sailing Picture

Al took this photo with his new camera. Here the #91 is ahead of Adrians #55 - Both Vektor hulls.

Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Al's NOUX plug

Al is making mould of a NOUX, here is the plug that he will make the mould from.

Sail Box (Continued)

Sail box before slicing in half

Sail box after cutting in half

Sail box after cutting in half

Sail box with piano hinge installed
Yesterday we cut the sail box on half lengthwise to make two halves. I then installed the piano hinge. Today I will put a coat of polyurethane on the inside of the box and then this afternoon we will do some work on the inside. This box will hold all three rigs so an extra panel will be installed on the inside with another piano hinge for holding the C rig. Stay tuned for more pictures on this project.

More pictures from Sunday sailing

Al's Noux (#14)
Adrians VEKTOR (#55)