Search This Blog

Thursday, September 10, 2009

Making Sails!



Tonight I started the tedious process of building sails. I ordered my sail cloth from Midwest Model Yachting and got it in the mail a few weeks ago. I was fortunate that Al has boards made with the template for the panels for all three sets of sails. So I unrolled some sail material and cut it then put it on the sail block and stuck it together. It seems easy, and it is very easy with Al's help, but to do this on your own may be a bit trying.

Ended up putting the panels together for the jibs and mains for the A rig and the B rig. We finished up the night by cutting the A jib to shape, putting the corner reinforcing patches on and then putting the luff wire and the luff tape on. I still need to put my sail number on this sail and then punch some grommets in it for the clew, tack and the head. Tomorrow I hope to put my sail number on this sail and then to continue work on the B jib. It is tedious work but i hope to get her sailing before too much longer as I want to take the boat to Dallas in November for the Region 5 Championship Regatta to debut this boat.

No comments: