On Sunday, I put attached the gooseneck fitting to the C rig and measured and cut the base of the mast to have the desired length of the mast. I can use the same measurements on the B and A rigs. Attaching the gooseneck fitting involved measuring the location of the boom from the lower ring on the mast and then aligning the fitting so it is @ 90 degrees from the shroud holes so the boom will be centered fore and aft on the mast. I will take some photos of the C rig later this week and post. The A rig uses a spreader, so this was also constructed.
We also put the keel blade into the hull and sanded it down to fit, as some clear coat was over sprayed into the keel slot and caused the fit to be a bit tight.
The eye bolts for the jib attachment points were installed and i also installed the eyes for the shroud attachment point and the back stay attachment. The aft turning block was also installed.
This week I will complete rigging the shrouds and back stay on the B rig. I will also install the gooseneck fittings on the A and B rig. I will also do some final fitting of the keel blade into the slot and then put some paint on the keel blade and the rudder. For the keel blade and the rudder I will use some appliance paint, as it should cover in fewer coats than if I painted it white and then put clear coat on it. It is best to minimize any added thickness to the keel and rudder foil shape.
The boat is coming along real fast now! I have to think about where to install the fair leads in the cockpit where the control line exit into the cockpit. A turning block needs to be installed at the forward end of the cockpit and this needs to be thought out so the lines do not hit the boom vang. The lead bulb will need to be attached to the keel blade, and the keel blade cut to length. Sails need to be made too. Most of the remaining items to complete the boat are tedious and time consuming, but i hope to have her in the water by May 1st, all going well.
- ▼ March (11)